07 May 2008

Is the AHA being a little alarmist?


I found out today that the stereotypical blood pressure of 120/80 is considered to be in the range of pre-hypertension. I was a little surprised by this. I was always told that 120/80 is practically ideal. It is so non-alarming, actually, that in pre-hospital and ER workers, quoting "120/80" is usually interpreted as, "I didn't actually take a blood pressure, but the guy (or girl) looks fine to me."

Anyway, some further research brought up the following statistic: (you know what they say about statistics, but bear with me) According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the NIH, those who do not have high blood pressure at age 55 face a 90 percent chance of developing it during their lifetimes. So, according to this, you are pre-hypertension pretty much regardless.

So, the new guideline is that CVD risk doubles with every 20 mmHg systolic after 115/75 mmHg. Food for thought...

0 Spam messages: