06 August 2009

Literature in Movies - Shakespeare is not dead

I just finished watching 10 Things I Hate About You a couple nights ago, and I am amazed that despite the extreme cheese that is this movie, there is still some charm to it.
I also marvel at how proliferative the words of the Bard are in modern literature and cinema. Can we not invent anything new? Well, that's open to debate... but I do think we owe credit to the amazing longevity of these works.

I've compiled a partial list of stories/movies adapted from plays of Shakespeare's. Feel free to leave some comments with additions or whatever you wish. I've intentionally left out direct remakes (eg Hamlet2, Romeo + Juliet, etc)

  • 10 Things I Hate About You - The Taming of the Shrew (it even rhymes)
  • She's the Man - Twelfth Night or What You Will
  • West Side Story, Romeo Must Die - Romeo and Juliet
  • O - Othello
  • Men of Respect, "Scotland, Pa" - Macbeth
  • A Thousand Acres - King Lear
  • The Lion King - Hamlet (loosely based)
  • Falstaff (Verdi opera) - The Merry Wives of Windsor
That's all I've got for now, but I'm sure there are some missing.

0 Spam messages: